"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~~Thomas Jefferson

"Who will protect us from those who protect us?"

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. ~ Thomas Jefferson

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." ~~Goethe

25 February 2012

Robbery Suspect...



Pretty good, eh?  :)

I went in to the plant this morning to get caught up on a little work.  On the way, I stopped and bought gas at the local Kwik Star, where gas is currently being sold for $3.49 per gallon of ethanol blend and $3.59 per gallon of regular unleaded.  $35.50 to put gas in my Jetta.  The only good news is that it's been 19 days since the last time I put gas in it.

When I got my driver license in 1970, gas was around 32 cents a gallon.  A "Gas War" would bring it down to a quarter or so.  When I was in High School and we wanted to go cruising on a Friday or Saturday night we'd pool our money to come up with enough to go to the station and get "a couple of bucks worth".  That would keep us going all weekend.

I remember coming home in January of 1975 from a 2 1/2 year duty assignment to Germany and being assigned to Fort Hood, Texas.  Gas was ridiculously high priced in Texas at 42 cents a gallon.  (It had been selling for about 35 cents a gallon when I left for Germany in the fall of 1972)  When we would drive home to Iowa the price would steadily increase as we got further north, reaching as high as 50 cents a gallon in some of the bigger cities.  I was always worried that we wouldn't have enough money to get back to Texas.  Ahhhhhhh.....  The good old days :)

I don't know the reason for the current high gas prices.  Speculation has it that it's the "speculators" driving the price up.  Or that Iran is no longer going to trade oil for U.S. Dollars.  Or that this is what the current administration and it's "green" followers want. 

Of course, there are those who wonder why gas prices are so high since, after all, Bush went into Iraq to get all of their oil.  With all of that oil on the market gas prices should be cheap, right?  And Bush should be getting rich off of it, right?

Oh well...  Whatcha gonna do?



Stay safe.

9 comments:

Brock Townsend said...

Dern' tootin'. :)

Borepatch said...

I don't remember 25 cent gas, but I do remember 28 cents a gallon. Graduated High School in '76.

Of course, a quarter went further back then, but not 8 times as far.

wirecutter said...

Cost me $45 to fill the 14 gallon tank on my Ranger last week, 60 bucks this week at $4.27 a gallon.

Brock Townsend said...

$4.27

Where is that? By the way, for some reason, your posts haven't appeared on my reader lately.

Blue said...

That $4.27 gas would be out in California.

Posts not showing up? Could it be because I now have to publish with Firefox rather than Explorer? That's the only thing I've changed.

Brock Townsend said...

I'm sorry, I neglected to copy and paste wirecutter.:)

Blue said...

:)

dhanna59 said...

Hey, I somehow gradeeated in 77. A four finger lid of columbian was 10 bucks! A four-way hit of Window-pane was a DOLLAR! Peyote buds a DOLLAR! Mushrooms were free! FUCK I can't even remember it all there was so much everywhere... to get your head straight you'd have to knock off all the weird shit and do trucker white crosses....

Blue said...

dhanna... Experience counts! :)