"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~~Thomas Jefferson

"Who will protect us from those who protect us?"

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. ~ Thomas Jefferson

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." ~~Goethe

07 October 2013

Went to the range today...

Bought a new rifle.  A Remington 700 Sendero SF II in .300 Win Mag.  It's pretty nice.  I fired a total of 30 rounds today.  That beat my shoulder to death.  Kicks like a mule.  Anyway...









                                                                                  



It was good.   That was a nice punkin...  :)

100 yards  150gr Speer Hot Core SP bullets.  Claimed velocity @ 100 yds is 3020 FPS with 3040 ft-lbs of energy.  Muzzle velocity of these bullets out of a 26" barrel is 3280 FPS and muzzle energy is 3585 ft-lbs.  I'm thinking that the same bullet out of my .308 would have done about half the damage, give or take.

I'm thinking that either a muzzle brake or a Limbsaver recoil pad may be in order...  :)

I started shooting way off the paper and made some big adjustments to get to the center of an 8" Shoot-N-C target.  The 3" target here is where I thought I had my zero.  The two holes upper left are actually a 3 shot group.  2 clicks right and 4 down brought it to where it should be :)

The optic is an SWFA SS 10X42 scope with Butler Creek snap up lens caps.  Millett 30mm Low Tactical rings.  Weaver bases.  Nothing fancy.  You can laugh all day about the SWFA scopes, but I like 'em.  I have 3 of them on different Remington 700 rifles.  This one, a .308 SPS Varmint with a heavy 24" barrel and a 20" .223 Tactical rifle.  They hold zero and work fine.  Yes, a Leupold or Night Force is gonna be clearer.  I won't argue that.  These little SWFA scopes are bullet-proof work horses.


~~~~~~

10 comments:

stevierayv said...

That looked like fun I need me some fun now.

Blue said...

Therapeutic, Stevie Ray. Good for the soul.

Anonymous said...

A three hunnit off a bench for 30 rounds ? Whew, you are a stronger man then me Gunga Din. :^) Years ago, I shot my .338 Winchester leaning up against a tractor tire to sight in, about 8 - 9 shots. Not horrible, but not really pleasant either. Its an experience worth having though.

No muzzle break, just plain ol' Bill Ruger M77 (with tang safety like God and Elmer Keith intended) and a Leupold VXII 2.5-8x scope.

Blue said...

Anon... "Not horrible, but not really pleasant either" That is a good description :)

I told my wife "no more" prior to squeezing off that last round. Still a little sore this morning ;)

Grog said...

Good group, and a sweet looking shooter. :)

If you're thinking about a muzzle brake, here's a good company to think about.

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/mini_14_30_accessories.php#muzzle_brakes

The muzzle brakes are near the bottom of the page.

Unknown said...

beauty.

Brock Townsend said...

That beat my shoulder to death.

But it was a sweet pain, correct......?:)

Blue said...

Grog... Thanks for the link. I will check that out.

Richard... thanks :)

Brock... Sweet pain? Yes, absolutely :)

Home on the Range said...

It's a beaut, and I bet a little soreness was worth it. I'm glad you got out there.

Blue said...

Thanks, B. It was good :) The missus mentioned to me tonight that she tried to get me to quit after 20...