"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~~Thomas Jefferson

"Who will protect us from those who protect us?"

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. ~ Thomas Jefferson

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." ~~Goethe

02 May 2011

Bothering me....

Do I believe that Osama Bin Laden is dead?  Yes, definitely.  Why?  Because saying he is if he isn't is too big a lie even for the obama administration.

I watched obama's speech last night.  I can't say that I was in shock or even surprised that he was reporting the death of Bin Laden..  It had to happen sooner or later.  I was trying to take it all in, to understand the details of what obama was reading off the teleprompter.... 

He said that Bin Laden was killed after a firefight in his compound in Pakistan.  After a firefight.  Surely he meant during a firefight.  He thumped his chest several times and said "I" authorized it, always accentuating the "I".  obama said that we went in there with the intention of killing Osama.  Sounded like a stump speech where the speaker was attempting to make the point to his audience that he is a leader.  "Look what I did..."  "Look at the decision I made...."

I spent quite a few years in the Army and I am certainly not naive' enough to believe that we always play fair.  I am not naive' enough to believe that we wouldn't neutralize a target then take that target aside and execute it.  Sometimes it's the best way.  It's ugly, no doubt.  Sometimes it's justified, like in this case.  It certainly doesn't compare to what he did to America on September 11th, 2001.

What I wouldn't expect to happen is to hear the President of the United States brag to the world that we had gone into a bad guy's compound with the express purpose of assassinating him.  I wouldn't expect him to emphasize the "I" when talking about who was responsible for giving the order.  It makes one appear to have a confidence problem that he's trying to hide.  "I gave the order..." as opposed to "I gave the order...."  There is a difference.

Assassination is the kind of thing you don't talk about in polite company.  There are details you don't share with the world.  Assassination is a nasty business.   It is frowned upon by nearly the entire civilized world, at least publicly.  It's one of those things that we know happens, but we don't brag about it.  We participate in it but we don't talk about it.

obama's security chief has spent the day today gently letting the media know that capture was an option, even after obama said last night that it wasn't..  It appears to me that obama made a mistake (by telling the truth) in his speech and he knows it.  Now they have to fix it.  They can't be too loud about it or people will realize that they are trying to cover something up.

Osama was a bad man.  He deserved to die.  I have no qualms whatever about that.  None.

I do have a problem with an American President, any American President, using it to further his political career or to boost his reelection chances.

For a moment or two last night I almost saw obama as being "Presidential" for the very first time.  Just for a moment.

I thought of all the people who died on September 11th, 2001, and those who have died since then in the attempt to make things right.  Osama Bin Laden got what he deserved.  I have no doubt about that.  I'm glad that some young Seal was able to look him in the eye and then pull the trigger to dispatch him from this world.

Last night's speech is going to motivate al Qaeda.  More so than killing Osama and protecting the details of how he died would have.  Americans will forget about this in a week or so.  Something else will come along to distract us.  We have short attention spans.  al Qaeda won't forget.  I'm not saying that's right or wrong.  It's just the way it is.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this.  Perhaps my lack of respect for obama is coloring my judgement. 

Bin Laden is dead.  Why do I care how it was handled after the fact?  Why do I care how it was presented to the world?  Justice is served.  I should just be satisfied with that.

I care because I believe that al Qaeda will respond with a vengeance.  I think more people, more Americans, are going to die unnecessarily because of this speech.  I hope that I'm wrong.  I hope al Qaeda believes that all is lost and that they walk away and end the madness. 

Not likely.

Stay safe.

4 comments:

Brock Townsend said...

Good post and we see eye to eye. He'll get a bump in the polls now, but will be forgotten by the time of the election in 1 1/2 years. Now, if he had announced this right before the election, then it would have made a difference.

KurtP said...

0bama will be walking back that strong "I" as soon as the inevitable blowback starts, but Osama has been dead a week- why are we being told now?
I wonder what they know was going to a breakout story with them looking bad, so this was thrown out there as a smoke screen.

Justin said...

Do you really think that the vengeance al Qaeda will seek will be any greater than what they were planning to do anyway? I mean, these guys go berserk and start killing folks over cartoons and people on the other side of the world who burn books.

I'm no fan of Obama...and, sadly, I'm not at all surprised that he took the opportunity to try and make himself look like an alpha...but I don't really think it's going to make a difference to al Qaeda.

Blue said...

Brock.... I get the impression that thyings are falling apart in this administration. Too many lies. Gunwalker is gonna get ugly. Overall lack of honesty. Remember when your daddy told you that honesty was the best policy? He was right, ya know....

Kurt.... I'm at the point that I don't believe much of anything they say. They have told so many lies that they are bound to fall apart one of these days.

Justin.... I think it gives al Qaeda a point of focus. I think they will have something to prove. I guess we'll see soon how it all shakes out.