"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~~Thomas Jefferson

"Who will protect us from those who protect us?"

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. ~ Thomas Jefferson

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." ~~Goethe

01 August 2011

I'm curious....

I wonder how the average German felt in those last few years leading up to World War Two?

I wonder how they felt when the world they had known for so long was being turned upside down by a man they didn't know, but whom they had elected?

I wonder how long it took them to realize that their police force had been militarized while they slept?  That no matter how "well behaved" they were, they were never safe from their own government?

I wonder what they thought when their neighbors started disappearing?

I wonder what they thought of "the camps"?

I wonder how many, if given the chance to go back to the time before the war, would do something differently?

Just curious.

Stay safe.

8 comments:

Home on the Range said...

I wish I could comment more on such topics, but given my current "boss" I can't.

Do you know how brilliant you are in few short words?

Thanks for the courage, for the service.

Blue said...

Thank YOU, Brigid :)

Brock Townsend said...

I believe by far the largest majority were happy to go along with the program even so a few years into the war.

chinasyndrome said...

Blue,that is a damn fine question. Unless I misunderstand Brock I think for one of the few times he and I disagree.If I am mistaken forgive me!
But from interviews I have seen the regular people probably like us (poor to middle class) were not happy or proud when they found out the true atrocity's that had been committed.Of course in any group there are sickos who enjoy hurting and killing.And there are those who fight for their country because its their country (right or wrong).I think many did things out of fear,not patriotism! I could be wrong. Wow deep question! I hope our fellow Americans study on this one before they go much further! You know where I stand! Again Deep question...

Be well Bro!

China
III

Anonymous said...

C'mon Blue. Rhetorical questions?

They were then as we are now. A little different in this respect. A little the same in another. Same result. Chaos. Just a matter of time. Happens to the best of us, as a result of the worst of us, because the best of us refuse to behave like the worst.

The ball is still in play.

RS

Blue said...

Folks....

Yes, rhetorical questions.

All of you get it. :)

Anonymous said...

I wish more people would wonder about such things, Blue.

Blue said...

Jim... Yep. That's the point. Get people to think.

We all know that Hitler, an unknown with a gift for oratory, had huge popular support in the beginning. We also know that he destroyed his country. I just thought it would be good to ask some questions that I believe are relevant to our current situation.

I wonder what Hindenburg would think today about all of the powers he voluntarilly ceded to Hitler in order to "fix the nation and it's economy"?