"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~~Thomas Jefferson

"Who will protect us from those who protect us?"

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. ~ Thomas Jefferson

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." ~~Goethe

07 January 2021

Power to the People... Right on!

What I'm finding as I try to put the events of the past few days into perspective is that neither the Democrat Party nor the Republican Party follow the will of the People.  I have suspected this for quite some time but have never really been able to make my ideas stick in my own mind.  It's something we know, but can't quite define...  Know what I mean?  (Yes, I  know this obvious and has been for quite some time)  My example is simple... if you are an elected Democrat, you vote the way Party leadership tells you to vote.  Same if you are an elected Republican.  If you are a constituent you sit back and yell "Yay Team!!!"  If you look back over the past 16 or 20 years you'll see a lot of party-line voting.  It wasn't always that way.  People use to have pull. 

How do they get away with that?

Well, I think that they offer something that they hope people want enough that they will vote for the party making the offer.  But it isn't the People telling the government what they want, it's the government telling the People "Here is what the Party has to offer.  This is what you can have.  Vote for me and I'll set you free."

All they want is the vote.  The people are left deciding which product they want out of those being offered, because that's all there is.  Nothing more.  Ala Carte at a buffet with a limited menu.

And yesterday a few people said "enough".  Misguided and without leadership or a plan, they were doomed to fail....   Except a coup wasn't their desire.  Toppling the government wasn't their plan.  But they made a statement.  And are being ridiculed for it today.  Y'all know, you're watching it the same as I am...

When did people give up their power to the Parties?  How do the People get their rightful power back? 

I know this isn't a very well organized post.  Like I said, I'm trying to organize my own thoughts.  I'm seriously interested in other folks' thoughts.  Thoughtful conversation is good.  And empowering.  And enlightening.

Anyway...  

Peace

7 comments:

Mike Silvius said...

I think there are a lot of us today trying to figure this out. Nothing makes any sense. What is clear is that the prostitutes in DC do not care what you or I think any more. They are saying right to our face. Shut up you stupid peasants, we stole this thing and there is nothing you can do about it. Get ready for the re-education camps. Comply or you will not survive.
Forty years ago me my family turned our lives upside down to leave Venezuela and come here precisely because we witnessed this exact same scenario unfolding before our eyes and could see the writing on the wall. We got out just in time. I don't have it in me anymore to pick up tent stakes and do it all over again.

Navy91 said...

It doesn't need to be a well organized post, it's right on the money. Organizing and planning would be a good start to getting our power back. I'm just not sure that we'll ever get that power back without a lot of bloodshed. At the very least, it will necessitate removing quite a few politicians from both sides of the aisle. Strict term limits would help. Taking the money out of the picture (PACs, special interest groups, lobbyists, etc.) would be supremely beneficial. I just don't know how we can put enough pressure on them to make that happen.

Jeff said...

The answer is not complex. It is the gold standard. Shrink the deficit, the federal budget and politicians power. These three things are the reason the politicians wanted rid of it. It restrains them and forces them to make difficult budget decisions. The less power a politician has the less lobbyist want to do with them.

Grog said...

Good morning, and if you're going to the buffet, don't eat the spaghetti if the cook is drunk, it might have clams instead of meatballs.

chuckling

Have to agree with you and the others, what is happening this week is the culmination of the last 30 plus years, as Pres Trump brought the depth of the corruption to public view. Although many of us suspected it was rampant, we didn't know the extent of it, not being deecee insiders. And this is what the shysters are afraid of, giving up their perks and influence, their "power", which is really manipulation and coercion. **do what I want or go to jail, peon**

spit

This will be an interesting year, to put it mildly.

Peace

Navy91 said...

Jeff, that's an excellent point. Thank you.

Blue said...

That's what I'm talking about! Good comments! Thanks!

looper said...

People did not 'give up the power' the courts became politicized and left us with no course of action against the politicians they are in bed with.